Myanmar to resume timber extraction

Myanmar will produce 15,000 tons of teak in the timber extraction season this year, said Kyaw Kyaw Lwin, Deputy Director-General of Forest Department at the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation, at a round-table discussion on the State economy pertaining to the forest sector.

“The ministry has been carrying out timber extraction from natural forests. The ministry will cut down 70 per cent of over 100-year-old teaks with 6.6 feet from natural forests and the remaining 30 per cent from teak plantations owned by the Forest Department,” he added.

“Exports of timbers which have official documents can get higher prices at the EU market rather than India, China and Thailand. Official documents are crucial. It is very easy to trace timbers from the plantation back. Timbers have official records. Timbers extracted from the plantations can be exported,” he continued.

“Since coming to power, the incumbent government has suspended timber extraction in order to control the excessive timber extraction in Bago Yoma mountain ranges. In the time of State Law and Order Restoration Council, up to 14 tons of timber was extracted. In the time of former President Thein Sein, the timber production dropped to less than seven tons. The current government has set a policy of extracting 3.5 tones of timber. According to the Forest Department, the country will extract 55 per cent of teak and 30 to 35 per cent of hardwoods a year,” he continued.

Forest Department is implementing Myanmar Reforestation and Rehabilitation Program (MRRP) (from 2017-2018 to 2026-2027) nationwide.

In 2016-2017 FY, the government suspended timber and hardwood extractions and also plans to significantly reduce annual timber extractions since 2017-2018 FY.

Source: Eleven Myanmar

To see the original article click link here

NB: The best way to find information on this website is to key in your search terms into the Search Box in the top right corner of this web page. E.g. of search terms would be “property research report”, ”condominium law”, "Puma Energy", “MOGE”, “yangon new town”,"MECTEL", "hydropower", etc.