Yangon authorities mull street lockdown over new COVID-19 patient

UPDATED: Yangon authorities have quarantined 26 residents, including 2 children who live on Nilar 1 Street, Ga Ngal quarter in North Okkapala township, at the Bayintnaung Tatmadaw Interrogaton Facility. The township is where the latest confirmed COVID-19 patient, a 63-year-old woman, lived in a hostel, a regional legislator said on Wednesday.

“We found the COVID-19 positive patient had stayed close to 26 other people in same house, which is a hostel,” said U Zaw Lwin, a member of the Yangon regional parliament,. “The problem is all houses in the same road are close to each other so we have to take precautions.”

The authorities arrived on Nilar 1 Street at around midnight and took all 26 residents for quarantine.

The latest victim, whose farthest recent travel was to Yangon International Airport to meet her son who came from Dubai on March 15, is the 16th confirmed COVID-19 infected person in the country.

The patient was admitted to North Okkalapa General Hospital on March 31, as she was suffering from fever and experienced tiredness.

Her swab sample was sent to the National Health Laboratory on the same day. The patient will be transferred to Wai Bar Gi Hospital for medical treatment. The Health Ministry says she is in good health although she is suffering from diabetes.

Earlier this week, State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said a lockdown of communities, or “community quarantine” would be implemented if needed to slow the spread the pneumonia-like virus that has killed over 44,200 people in 180 countries.

The de facto Myanmar leader assured that once a community is lockdown is implemented, a new committee headed by Vice President U Myint Swe would ensure there are no shortages of food, medicine or other essentials.

On March 28, businesses on 101st Street, Mingalar Taung Nyunt township, were told to close for 14 days, including all restaurants and tea shops. Meanwhile, residents of the area formed groups to monitor all movements in the street and stop strangers from entering the vicinity. A 69-year-old cancer patient who tested positive for COVID-19 had lived on the street with his son. He died Tuesday due to acute respiratory distress syndrome with septic shock and severe community-acquired pneumonia as a result of COVID-19,

The man’s son was quarantined at Wai Bar Gyi. Officials of Yangon regional government placed 17 other family members under mandatory home quarantine.

To see the original article click link here

Source: Myanmar Times

NB: The best way to find information on this website is to key in your search terms into the Search Box in the top right corner of this web page. E.g. of search terms would be “property research report”, ”condominium law”, "Puma Energy", “MOGE”, “yangon new town”,"MECTEL", "hydropower", etc.